Table of Contents:
Why is saying thank you to coworkers for gifts important?
Thanking your coworkers for gifts they may give you is an important thing to do. Even though it may seem to be a simple gesture at first glance, there are several reasons why thanking someone for their gift is very valuable.
People who receive gifts often appreciate them more when they know that the giver put time into thinking about what will make the receiver feel happy or valued. Since people like receiving appreciation for their work and effort put into giving, thanking someone for their generosity shows thoughtfulness on your part as well as theirs. It also allows you to recognize how much you value what has been given to you. If gratitude is not shown, many people may begin to wonder why you did not appreciate their thoughtful gift.
To say thank you to coworkers for gifts, try writing a simple note of appreciation, especially when the gift is personal. Not only does it show that you care about them as a person, but it also shows how much the gift means to you. Even if your coworker is not available at the moment, leaving a note can be enough until you can express your gratitude personally in the future.
8 benefits of saying thank you to coworkers for gifts
There are numerous benefits to saying thank you for a gift, whether it was a great gift or not! You will make the giver feel satisfied that they gave you something you like and you will feel better about yourself for being polite. It’s all about exercising your interpersonal skills. Here are more benefits:
- Shows appreciation for your coworker's kind gesture.
- Removes any bad feelings that may have arisen, which could be why the gift is being given in the first place.
- Maintains relationships with your coworkers.
- Gives insight into what you like, which helps when looking for another gift.
- Makes you feel good about yourself as a result of your actions.
- Increases the trust between you and your coworkers.
- Strengthens the company culture.
- Reminds your coworkers of the social and professional bond you share with them.
5 tips for saying thank you to coworkers for gifts
When working in a group environment, it's not uncommon to receive gifts from your coworkers. It can be especially difficult when you don't know what to say when receiving a gift from someone you may not know very well or at all and would like to express your appreciation and gratitude for the gesture. But don’t just avoid thanking them because of it! According to a study shared by Rare Assembly, 76% of millennials report they would quit a job if they felt under appreciated. Showing appreciation is so important!
Here are some tips:
- Be gracious: Make sure that you thank them sincerely and genuinely. If the gift was chosen with care, it shows how much effort went into choosing something special just for you, so being grateful will go a long way.
- Be specific: Thank them for the cute mug they picked out for you, or ask about their favorite part of the movie they gave you on DVD. In addition to expressing your gratitude, this allows you to get to know each other better, and be more comfortable together.
- Be yourself: It may sound cliché, but if your usual reaction is to run around screaming and shouting with joy when receiving a gift, there's nothing wrong with that. Just make sure you're not offending anyone who might have a different reaction than you!
- Be proactive: If you receive a gift from a colleague, make sure to thank them immediately after opening the gift. While it's sometimes possible to forget if you do nothing about it, this is guaranteed to happen with a timely reminder.
- Write a handwritten note: No matter if you received a small gift or an extravagant gift, taking the time to write a handwritten note shows that you truly appreciate the gift. You could even search for appreciation quotes and include one in the note. Business Management Daily compares the difference between a typed note and a handwritten note as the difference between receiving a scarf bought at a department store vs. a scarf the giver knitted. Handwritten notes are just more personal!
Thanking your coworkers for a gift shows that you appreciate their generosity and effort in choosing a thoughtful present just for you when they're already busy at work. Taking the time to express your gratitude personally when receiving presents from coworkers will also help solidify relationships with your co-workers and boost morale!
4 tips for saying thank you to remote coworkers for gifts
As a remote worker, you might wonder how to thank your coworker for sending you a gift when you are not physically in the same place. Here are some tips from experts on saying "thanks" in a way that is warm and encouraging even when communication feels impersonal:
- Use the phone or video chat: Givers are more likely to be delighted if they can talk about it face-to-face, even if it's just on FaceTime or Skype. "The shared experience of the actual giving and receiving is important," said Dr. Will Meek, Ph.D., an Atlanta psychologist specializing in social skills and relationships.
- Give a little backstory and context: If you're not going to speak with your gift giver directly, start by saying something like: "I was so surprised when I opened my gift box from you! Thank you!" Then pause for a moment before launching into your story about how much the generous gift means to you. It should be a back and forth conversation, rather than a robot reading a script. The whole point is to build a connection between the two of you that can turn into a real friendship.
- Be specific about what you love about it: For example: "I love this because I have been wanting one for so long." Or "This is perfect since I always seem to forget my water bottle at work. I was so happy to get it at my birthday party!" This way your coworker knows if they got the gift right, which will help them pick things out in the future.
- Importantly, say thank you again: In other words, don't just stop after your initial response on Skype or via email with something like, "Thank you so much for the gift. I love it!" If that's all you do, your coworker might think they did something wrong. A generic thank you at the beginning is great, but make sure to follow up with a heartfelt expression of gratitude as soon as possible after receiving the gift. You could even send a handwritten thank you.
6 examples of how to say thank you to coworkers for gifts
If you’re struggling to come up with the words on how to say thank you for the gifts your coworkers gave you, here are some examples:
- “I want to thank everyone for the awesome gift of the Starbucks gift card. It will be great for my upcoming mornings, and I'm so happy everyone remembered my favorite place!”
- “Thank you for the books. They're perfect for my upcoming journey, and I'm sure they'll help me grow. I appreciate your kindness. You're a wonderful friend!”
- “I want to thank everyone for the wedding gift of the beautiful clock. It's perfect for my desk at work, and I love it!”
- “I was so surprised to find a birthday gift on my desk this morning! Thank you for the coffee mug. It's my favorite color, and I'm going to enjoy it for years!”
- “Thank you to everyone for the wonderful laptop bag. It fits perfectly in my backpack, and I'm so thankful you thought of me when buying this group gift!’
- ‘I want to thank you for this beautiful watch. The colors are gorgeous together, and I couldn't have asked for a better farewell gift. You have been such amazing coworkers. Thank you again!”
4 softwares for saying thank you to coworkers for gifts
There are many apps and software options out there that can be used to say thank you to coworkers for gifts. Some examples are:
- Paperless Post: There are pre-made templates that make the process quick and easy. This will help to build relationships with your co-workers because they'll feel appreciated after getting thanked frequently. You will also be able to see a report of who opened your thank you note and who didn’t.
- American Greetings: This well-known paper card company also has the option to send digital e-cards on its website. Bonus, they’re free!
- Thankster: This app will automatically mail handwritten cards for you. They have a variety of thank you card options as well as cards for many other occasions.
- Matter: This app allows you to thank coworkers for that perfect gift right on Slack. It’s free and integrates seamlessly. Plus, it's not just for appreciation messages, you can also use it to send kudos, praise, or even constructive feedback.
Whatever you decide to do, the important part is saying a heartfelt thank you for the wonderful gift that you received from your coworkers. The person who gave you the gift will be glad they gave it to you when you show your gratitude.